My dear sweet hubby spent our anniversary painting the shutters. Apparently we own an awesome paint sprayer accessory that came with our compressor and Matt decided to give it a try on the shutters and the results were amazing and fast!
Here is what our faded burgundy shutters looked like BEFORE:
It only took one afternoon to remove, clean, and paint the shutters. We (I mean Matt) replaced them the following morning when they were dry. Supplies needed for the project were a half a gallon of exterior black satin paint ($12.50) and 24 shutter fasteners ($9.00). We needed to replace the shutter fasteners on the upper shutters and I found the best price at Menards. Love the new look, but next was the door and it did not come as easy or cheap. Remember when I thought that I would Rub n Buff the door hardware? Well, that was a no go. The brass was too slick and the RNB just rubbed off. Plan B was spray painting the hardware silver first, then using the RNB. That did not work either. Plan C, buying new hardware. New hardware is expensive, but we found a set on sale at Menards and had Lowes price match plus 10% off so we only paid the lowest price possible this side of the Mississippi. The best thing about this new hardware is that it has Smart Key technology and if our keys get lost or stolen we can rekey our locks ourselves.
I love the look of my door so much that I do not want to cover it up with my wreath!
The best part is the inside. I convinced my husband that an interior black door would be FAB-U-LOUS and he was so sweet to indulge me and I am in love!
I was even more tickled today to see that Shelley from House of Smith's also painted her door black! I agree with Shelley that the black "anchors" the space and I LOVE the way it turned out!
This project cost a total of $128.50. This was supposed to be a no spend month and rather than scrapping the whole month I will begin my no spend month one week late.